Labels

Monday, June 18, 2012

red velvet pancakes

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there!

The kids woke up this morning with plans to make breakfast for their dad in bed!  My daughter loves to make pancakes, but never plain ones, and today she made Red Velvet Pancakes!  They are soo good!

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
red food coloring (I prefer just a pinch of Wilton, but if you are using a liquid, about 1 teaspoon)
Directions:

Mix first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. 

Mix last 7 ingredients in another large bowl

Add the flour mixture to the 2nd bowl gradually, mixing until creamy.  This is my kid's favorite part, when the vinegar and the baking soda meet and create a foam, which makes the pancakes light and fluffy!  I throw out the words acid (vinegar) and base (baking soda) alot at this point, making those science connections!

Cook as you would any pancake, using a hot griddle or skillet. I prefer using a 1/4 measuring cup, but you can make them larger or smaller according to your preference.


Loading up for Boy Scout Camp
We then loaded up my son's things and drove him out to meet his Boy Scout Troop, as they head off to camp for a week.  This is his first time to go to camp for a week, although he has done some overnight and 2 day camps.  I'm so excited for him, but this is a huge step towards maturity and I know the boy who comes back will be a little more independent, which makes it a bittersweet day.  I love the person he is growing into, but I will miss my little boy. 

                                                                                
A sweet, brotherly goodbye






Before we left, we called to wish Happy Father's Day to their Grandpa, and took a few minutes to talk about my dad, who past away 2 years ago.  Gone but not forgotten. 
Home for the next 6 days!















We then loaded up all of my daughter's things, and drove her out to Girl Scout Camp for a week. This is her FIRST time to go to camp without me, and I have to say I'm a little worried, and although I know she will be fine, I still cried a little!  





Rudy's Bar-B-Que
With only our 4 year old left, we joined my husband's dad for a Father's Day dinner at Rudy's Bar-B-Que.  I have mixed feeling about Rudy's, because we have liked them since their early beginnings, before you found a franchise along every interstate. But the food was still sooo good!  My FIL forced me (haha) to try their buttermilk pie, which is amazing!!  I'm going to have to find a recipe for that!

To find a Rudy's near you,
http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/home or like them on facebook;
Please tell them HFitTS sent you!


No comments:

Post a Comment