| Ingredients for homemade sidewalk chalk, just add water! |
They look at each other and roll their eyes. Sidewalk chalk is so preschool.
But curiosity overcomes them, and they eventually come outside to see what we have drawn. A Texas Flag, the sun, my four year old's hand, flowers and a river, an unrecognizable animal, pink hearts... you get the idea.
Slowly they sit down in the driveway, cool thanks to the shade of our oak tree, and begin drawing. At first, it's their names, and more flowers, then birds and trees, and soon cars fill a newly created road, that winds up and down past the pastel lake and purple houses. A lazy afternoon has been transformed. But when the the last piece of chalk crumbles down to dust is when I really get their attention.
"Would you like to make some sidewalk chalk?" I ask.
They stare at me... "Really?" they ask "What color?"
I explain we can make any color they like. I have LOTS of paint. And they can mix colors to make what we don't have. And we can make, dare I say it, ......... shapes!
And now I have 4 preteens, 2 of which are boys, engrossed in an art activity.
It's magical!
Here's how we did it....
A bowl you are willing to throw away (ice cream container, maybe?)
2 cups plaster of paris
1 cup water
paint
molds - fun or fancy. I prefer sand or playdough molds, lined with plastic wrap. But you can use candy molds, ice cube trays, or cup cake tins.
1. Mix the plaster and water.
2. Add paint to desired color (if you are mixing colors, mix seperately before you add).
3. Pour into molds
4. Allow to dry, about 24 - 48 hours, depending on the size of the mold.
For more fun:
Add glitter. Everything is more fun with glitter!
Wrap to give as a gift, with a recipe card so they can make their own!
No comments:
Post a Comment