Where The Wild Things Are was one of my favorite books as a child, and one of my favorites to read to my children. I heard of the book's author and illustrator, Maurice Sendak's recent passing, I was saddened and thought of a way to honor him and his book in our home. When the kids arrived home from school, we read the book together while eating their after school snack, then I suprised them with some new art supplies; construction paper, glue, crayons and markers. My older kids helped my little one (and humored him a little), as we drew pictures of the wild things, with their terrible teeth and terrible eyes and terrible claws. They cut them out and then my four year old put on his dinosaur costume, we didn't have a wolf costume, and he "tamed" them. We then put on him a construction paper crown, and we all danced a "wild rumpus" with the paper cutouts! We finished the evening by eating dinner together in my boy's room, "and it was still hot.".
My daughter and I took the art of Where The Wild Things Are a little further, and painted the colorful flowers found at the beginning and end of the book on a window screen. The texture of the screen resembles the unique drawing in the book.
My Mommy Tips:
- Instead of free handing the pictures, use coloring pages found online; http://www.coloring-book.info/coloring/coloring_page.php?id=224
- If you have more money or time than I did, or if you want to celebrate this book at Halloween, there are Where The Wild Things Are costumes available. I think a Where The Wild Things Are Halloween Party would be adorable! http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=366713&catid=185837&aid=333971&aparam=rubies_costumes_where_th&CAID=878d9fc1-21f3-46ff-9b8b-f756fa1fff04

No comments:
Post a Comment