Labels

Friday, November 16, 2012

Fort Worth Nature Center

One Friday each month I pack up my little four year old, and we visit the Fort Worth Nature Center for their Preschool Discovery Class with his best buddy!  He loves learning about the animals that live in the refuge, listening to a story, and making a craft. 


But today he was a toot. 

Not his normal tootiness, but "extreme for even him" tootiness. 

He wouldn't listen to the story.  Then Mr. Michael told the children he would call out different animals, and asked that they go stand by either a happy face, an unsure face, or a sad face, depending on how they felt about the animal.   

The first animal was a pig.  With visions of cute pink little piglets, or maybe bacon, all the preschoolers scrambled over to the happy face.  Except my Little Leo.  He went to the sad face.  "You don't like pigs?" I asked.  He shook his head no.





The second animal was a cat.  The children all smiled and stayed firmly in place at the happy face.  Except mine.  Apparently he doesn't like cats.  Please don't tell our kitty, it would make her sad. 



The third animal was a butterfly.  My little guy stood alone.  When asked why he doesn't like butterflies, he replied that it makes him sad to see them struggling in spider webs. 


And on it went.  My baby, who is not a baby, is clearly defiant. 

But when Mr. Michael asked who likes bats, the children all ran over to the sad face, while my little one hurried over to the happy face, accompanied by a few others.  Curious, I asked him why he liked bats, and he replied to me, "I like it when you read me Stellaluna, (pronounced Sta-Luna), at night when you tuck me in." 


I love my defiant little guy. 

The Fort Worth Nature Center has lots of wonderful activities, including hay rides to feed the bison, canoe paddling excursions, birdwatching and much, much more!  Check out their calendar of events, or spend a day out walking their trails.  Take your camera, we always see plenty of deer and other wildlife around the refuge. 


I was also told some places to spot some wild turkeys, although I didn't see any.  Apparently, wild turkeys do not make photo appearances for loud, four year old boys.  Who knew?

My Mommy Tip
  • Call early to reserve a spot for all activities, because they really fill up fast!

Click Here to read about another, less "tooty", visit to the Preschool Discovery Class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment